Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Fleur de Sel Chocolate Chip Cherry Cookies











I think I may have found my new favorite cookie. My friend Sara made these back in the Spring, and I quickly got the recipe from her. I've been wanting to make them ever since that day, but every time I think about it, I'm out of either chocolate chips or cherries. Well, this week I made sure to get both so that I could make these delicious cookies. Semi-sweet chocolate and tart dried cherries give these cookies such a wonderful blend of flavors, and a sprinkling of sea salt just before baking really makes them pop. I just love these cookies and see myself making these many times in the future! These are wonderful...I would know, because I've already eaten way too many since I made them just a couple of hours ago.

Today I halved the recipe because it makes a lot of cookies, but this would be a great recipe to make and freeze a portion of the dough for a future last minute dessert. 

Fleur de sel chocolate chip cherry cookies
Recipe originally from Metropolitan Bakery in Philadelphia, PA. Can also be found here

I N G R E D I E N T S :
1 cup rolled oats
3 cups All-purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips
1 1/4 cups dried tart cherries
1 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt (fleur de sel)

D I R E C T I O N S :
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grind oats into a fine flour by using a food processor.
In a large bowl, sift flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add oats and salt.
Using a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars until light in color and texture (about 3 minutes).
Add eggs one at a time.
Stir in vanilla.
Add flour mixture until combined.
Fold in chocolate and cherries.
Scoop cookies onto a baking sheet, using an ice cream scoop, and place 2 inches apart.
Press to slightly flatten each cookie and sprinkle with sea salt.
Bake at 350 for 15 - 18 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges.

Note: When I looked online to see if there was another copy of this recipe, the site I found recommends chilling the dough for improved texture and flavor.




3 comments:

Lisa said...

That touch of salt would really set off the flavor of these cookies nicely. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-51.html

philippine catering services said...

It really brings out the flavor, but for some reason I never make it. I should - it's a perfect holiday treat.I can't wait to be back to cooking again!

zonia

amber@This Mommy Cooks said...

so yummy! I did sub the cherries for craisins and they still tasted great!